Friday, September 14, 2012

Thank you for not dying on my birthday, Dad

Thank you for not dying on my birthday, Dad
That really would have sucked
I know that you were probably hanging on
To make it, to see me turn 18
But you didn’t.

Thank you for not dying on birthday
There are other ones that I remember well
When we got along
Spent time together
When you taught me to ride my bike
Took me swimming and camping with the Scouts.

Then I got older, and you got sicker
And I continued
I said “no” when you wanted to go for a biking weekend
I said “no” when you wanted to take me out for dinner (in public)
I’ll never get to say “no” again.

Because yesterday you died
And for a brief moment, I thought to myself
I won’t have to lift you again from your bed
Help cut your food, because everything you saw was fuzzy
I won't have to ignore it when you bark in frustration.

But that moment has passed
And I miss you already
And tomorrow on my birthday and never again
Will I get the chance to say “yes”.

No comments:

Post a Comment